elijahkinchspector

Uncertain, Fugitive, Half-fabulous

Mothership: Tales from Afrofuturism and Beyond
Bill Campbell, Edward Austin Hall
Deathstalker War (Owen Deathstalker, Vol. 3)
Simon R. Green
Jews Without Money
Michael Gold
Great Short Works of Fyodor Dostoevsky - Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Ronald Francis Hingley A great collection overall, even if not every translation is what I'd want (Constance Garnett, ick). So far, I've only read what I had to for class.

Notes From the Underground: It seems that no one ever mentions how wickedly funny Notes is--I didn't just find it immensely awkward, fascinating, and affecting, but I laughed out loud on a regular basis as I read it. The narrator is so pathetic in such a way that, if one has any anti-social tendencies, or has known people who do, he will feel painfully familiar. It actually most resembles that sad and crazy guy on a message board who posts long rants about how unappreciated he is, which I think demonstrates just how ahead of its time the book is. Given how unlikeable the narrator is, I don't think I could have handled this book if it was a) longer, or b) not also funny. As it is, I think it's pretty much a short masterpiece, but I'll have to read it again (when I'm not overworked, and possibly in another translation) before I can be sure.

A Gentle Creature: Not dissimilar from Notes, in that it's the inner monologue of someone who's crazy fucked-up, but there's a great (and very Dostoevskian) set up in the story being narrated by a man who's looking at his dead wife on a table in their home, just a little while after she committed suicide. Plenty good and disturbing, also, I think, some stuff being said here about the ways in which men treated women then (and many do now).