elijahkinchspector

Uncertain, Fugitive, Half-fabulous

Mothership: Tales from Afrofuturism and Beyond
Bill Campbell, Edward Austin Hall
Deathstalker War (Owen Deathstalker, Vol. 3)
Simon R. Green
Jews Without Money
Michael Gold
Avengers, Vol. 1: Avengers World - Jonathan Hickman, Jerome Opeña, Adam Kubert Hickman's writing is always building something gigantic, but I found this portentious beginning a little harder to get into than the one in his Fantastic Four run. Maybe it's just having so many disparate characters, without close family bonds, as the reader's anchor in the early going before the plot starts making sense. (Also, I'll be honest, Cannonball and Sunspot becoming Avengers was the catalyst for bringing me back to Marvel comics at all, so I would've liked to have seen more of them.)

Some of the emotional stakes at this early going feel unearned (particularly when it begins with the "classic" Avengers team being one that's only existed in the movies, but I digress), and the big scary threat is sometimes hard to take seriously because it seems awfully similar to the big scary threat in Hickman's as-yet-unconnected New Avengers.

All of that said, as soon as he begins to take a minute to let his characters breathe -- especially the new ones, heroes and villains -- Hickman's book comes to life. Thanks in no small part to Opeña's fucking gorgeous art.