elijahkinchspector

Uncertain, Fugitive, Half-fabulous

Mothership: Tales from Afrofuturism and Beyond
Bill Campbell, Edward Austin Hall
Deathstalker War (Owen Deathstalker, Vol. 3)
Simon R. Green
Jews Without Money
Michael Gold
Captain Marvel, Vol. 1: In Pursuit of Flight - Dexter Soy, Emma Ríos, Kelly Sue DeConnick There is a subset of longtime Marvel Comics readers who like Carol Danvers a lot, maybe too much, whether she's Ms. Marvel, Binary, Warbird, or just a recovering civilian hanging out with the X-Men (my personal favorite). Finally letting her just be Captain Marvel, instead of bringing back Mar-Vell (who was always a better platform for ideas than a character) again or making a new character, was a big surprise and a no-brainer all at once.

Captain Marvel also turns out to be the perfect character to send alone into a time travel story, because she's too straightforward to worry about the timestream or what have you, which avoids a lot of the irritatingly windy plotting that time travel can bring about. Instead we get WWII and aliens and a piece of genuine feminism that doesn't call attention to its message, but is just there to enjoy as a fun story.

Also, possibly the best line I've read in any comic in a long time. "Moon power!"

Soy's art is very good, but not quite what I wanted for this book, which is more my problem than his. I just wanted all of it to look like the covers, I guess.