elijahkinchspector

Uncertain, Fugitive, Half-fabulous

Mothership: Tales from Afrofuturism and Beyond
Bill Campbell, Edward Austin Hall
Deathstalker War (Owen Deathstalker, Vol. 3)
Simon R. Green
Jews Without Money
Michael Gold
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Vol. 1 - Hirohiko Araki, 荒木 飛呂彦 So first of all, I just have to tackle, again, how angry I am that Viz Media decided to start this series in what is actually its 12th volume and tell the story of its THIRD protagonist. Far as I can tell they stopped once they'd finished that story too. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is the long-reaching, multi-generational family saga that follows the, heh, Joestar family (how can you tell someone's a Joestar? they're fucking huge and they have a star birthmark on the back of their neck) from 19th century England up until about 2012 or so, I believe. The third section is the first one that was set in the time it was written, namely the late 80's. It is also the first one set in Japan, and the one that introduces the utterly strange and staggeringly original system of bizarre powers that plays a big role in the book.

All that said, I can SEE why Viz made that choice, but it still speaks to an idea that American fans of this stuff won't read something that isn't set in Japan with crazy, character-specific powers, and I hope that that's not true. Anyway, I think it's a disservice to the audience here, but there are... places on the internet where I can read the rest of the series, so it's whatever.

And I think I will be reading the rest of the series. Judging by this one volume, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure isn't exactly full of deep characterization, but it makes up for any shortcomings by sheer mass of THE STRANGEST SHIT YOU'VE COME ACROSS IN A LONG TIME. I can't honestly tell when it's being funny on purpose and when it's doing it by mistake, but who cares? The powers are crazy and bad-ass, the main characters are all huge but strangely feminine men (their design and posture remind me of gay comics from the 80s and 90s, I wonder if that's a coincidence or not...), and the story shouldn't make any damn sense, but somehow it does. It's good times. The crazy magical bug spirit flying around dangling its prize of a bunch of severed human tongues was a highlight.