elijahkinchspector

Uncertain, Fugitive, Half-fabulous

Mothership: Tales from Afrofuturism and Beyond
Bill Campbell, Edward Austin Hall
Deathstalker War (Owen Deathstalker, Vol. 3)
Simon R. Green
Jews Without Money
Michael Gold
Blacksad - Juan Díaz Canales, Juanjo Guarnido 50s style detective stories told through characters with classic Disney faces and Leyendecker clothing -- it's all pretty damn captivating. It goes quick, but Blacksad is a lot of fun and beautifully drawn, in fact it takes the writing a little bit to catch up, honestly.

The first story in this collection is kind of lightweight, but saved by its art. The second and third delve a little deeper both into issues of the period they're set in, and into more complex plots. I think that maybe I would've liked the world itself to have been a little more Redwall-ish, that is to have been an animal-inhabited world very much like ours, instead of entirely like ours, but that's alright. The choice to do a story about race and have it be based on fur color, not species, bothered me at first, but the more I thought about it, the better an analogy it was (race is, after all, entirely fucking arbitrary), even if it was sometimes a little over the top.

Great stuff, beautifully drawn, captivating, and often very darkly funny.