elijahkinchspector

Uncertain, Fugitive, Half-fabulous

Mothership: Tales from Afrofuturism and Beyond
Bill Campbell, Edward Austin Hall
Deathstalker War (Owen Deathstalker, Vol. 3)
Simon R. Green
Jews Without Money
Michael Gold
Fables, Vol. 3: Storybook Love - Bill Willingham, Mark Buckingham, Steve Leialoha A definite uptic in quality with this volume, less time spent making specific points or setting up a world means more time luxuriating in that world as characters come and go and interact, and still, thankfully, without too many "good guys" and "bad guys." Goldilocks is still kind of ridiculous, but she's barely there -- I do hope we get to see more of the Mouse Police, though. They are great. The stories in this volume feel a lot more organic, less divided into perfect arcs (often done for the trades) and more like an ongoing chronicle of life in this strange setting.

I wish the art was a little better though. Most of what's in here kind of varies between serviceable and iffy, which is really too bad when the covers are so great. If the artist on the last issue in this volume goes on to do more of them, though, I'd love it, as her style fits the strangely off storybook angle.